When your Glowforge is turned on and the lid open, the Glowforge App shows the status as "Lid Open." If you see this message when the lid appears to be closed, something may be keeping the lid from closing all the way. Or you may need a replacement lid cable.
Here are the steps to figure out the problem.
- Power off your Glowforge
- Open the lid and front door of your Glowforge.
- Remove your crumb tray.
- Check for any debris that may prevent the front door from closing, particularly in the area underneath the front door.
- Close the front door and lid.
- Power your Glowforge back on.
- If you no longer see "Lid Open" message with the crumb tray removed, carefully slide your crumb tray back in, making sure you feel the feet settle into the dimples in the base of the Glowforge.
- Check whether you receive the "Lid Open" message with your crumb tray back in place.
If you're still receiving the message, please compare the following photos to your Glowforge:
If anything on your Glowforge looks different, please take a picture and send it to us.
If your Glowforge looks the same as the example photos, check that the lid cables are connected correctly.
Follow these steps to check your lid cable connections:
- Turn off your printer and open the lid.
Gently push on each of the three clips on the black lid cable pictured below to ensure that they are closed. Each clip should lie flat, and you shouldn't be able to flip it in any direction. Also, ensure the plugs on top of each LED strip are fully seated into the connectors.
- If any of the clips are open, gently close them. Then turn your Glowforge back on, and check if you still see a "Lid Open" message in the app.
If all of your lid cable connections are inserted correctly, closed and undamaged, but you still see a "Lid Open" message when trying to use your Glowforge, it's likely that the black lid cable on your printer needs to be replaced. Replacement cables can be ordered in our shop here.