We love giving gifts – especially ones we’ve made ourselves – and a custom gift tag is the perfect finishing touch.
There are four basic steps to create your customized gift tag with your Glowforge – it only takes a few minutes! First, you will select the overall tag design, next you’ll create a hole at the top of the tag, then add your text, and finally, print!
For this design, you’ll use some of the Premium design tools. You get 14 days of free access to Glowforge Premium included with the purchase of your Glowforge.
First, create the tag design
- Go to app.glowforge.com, and sign in.
- Place a piece of material from your Proofgrade starter kit in the bed of your Glowforge.
Note: The remaining material you used for your Gift of Good Measure would be perfect. Make sure the QR code is whole and visible. If it’s not, you can select the material manually after you upload your file, just click Unknown at the top left of the screen.
- On the Dashboard, click Create, and then click New blank design.
- On the top of the workspace, click Import artwork.
- In the search box, type “round frame,” and then click Search.
- In the search results, select the frame with the flower design on the bottom left of the circle.
Note: It takes a moment for the artwork to be imported to the workspace.
- When the artwork appears on the workspace, drag one of the corners to enlarge it to the size you want. Make sure to leave enough space for the text that you will add.
Tip: To make the design easier to work with, you can make it larger for while you are designing, and then when you are finished and happy with your design, you can resize it smaller before you print.
Next, add a hole to the top of the tag
- Click Insert shape , and then click Insert circle .
- Drag one of the corners and resize the circle to make it significantly smaller than the tag.
- Drag the small circle to the top of the tag, just above the larger circle (almost, but not quite touching). This circle will be cut to make the hole for tying at the top of the tag.
The top should look something like this.
- Click and hold on a spot well outside of your tag, and then drag diagonally to select the entire design. When the entire design is selected, a toolbar appears on the right of the workspace.
- On the toolbar, click Create outline , and then click Create New Outline. This creates an outline of the entire design that will be cut when you print.
Note: You can see the print steps in the workspace on the left. If you are using Proofgrade material, the correct Cut and Engrave settings will be automatically selected for you.
Then, add your personalized text
- Click Insert text . The text box appears on the workspace.
With Glowforge Premium, you have access to over 900 professional fonts.
- In the text box, type your “To” message, select the font that you want from the drop-down menu, and then drag, resize, and place the text box where you want it.
Tip: With more than 900 fonts to choose from, that's quite a list to scroll. You can keep your favorites near the top - just click the star next to the ones you like.
- Add another text box. Type your “From” message in the text box, and then drag and resize your text the way you want it.
- Add a final text box for your special occasion message. Again, type your message, select your font, and then drag and resize your text the way you want it.
- When you’re happy with your design, to move and/or resize the whole design before you print, click and hold on a spot well outside of your tag, and then drag diagonally to select the entire design.
- With the whole design selected, you can resize, and then drag to place the tag where you want it to print on your material.
To print your design, click PRINT in the top right of the workspace. Then, when the button on your Glowforge starts blinking, press it and watch the laser go.
And just like that, you’re ready to tie a bow and custom tag on your present. A great gift and a custom tag? Unforgettable!